Text to Summary Converter
Here is your summary:
📋 Steps to Summarizing Various Texts
During your studies, educators can ask you to shorten an article, story, or academic paper. Or you may be assigned to add an abstract to your research paper. Thankfully, our multi-purpose summary converter can help you solve all these tasks!
Yet, when you don’t have access to our online tool – at school, for example – we would still like to help you. That’s why we have explained how any text can be converted to a summary.
Essay to Summary Converter: Step-by-Step Guide
There are several steps to follow when converting an essay to a summary:
|✒️ Carefully read the essay.||Closely read the paper several times to ensure you do not omit any vital details. We recommend going through the text at least three times.|
|✒️ Outline crucial ideas.||From memory, write down the thesis statement and central arguments that support it. Make sure you use your own words while doing so.|
|✒️ Decide on the length.||Usually, a summary should not be longer than 1/4 of the essay. On average, a student should write one paragraph that retells everything crucial about the original essay.|
|✒️ Connect the ideas.||Start your summarized passage with the thesis, then list the main ideas. Add transitions between the arguments to show the connection between them.|
|✒️ Review.||Read your summary and check whether its structure, length, and grammar are correct. If you use the author’s phrases in some parts, reword them.|
Story to Summary Converter: Step-by-Step Guide
To write a summary of a short story, first, you should read the piece. Second, you should analyze the plot and themes to reveal the key aspects. Finally, you’ll need a solid plan.
Follow these steps to make sure you cover all the essential elements of the story:
|✒️Catch the key idea.||After careful reading, write down a sentence or two describing the central idea of the story. Try to write from memory, in your own words.|
|✒️Describe the setting.||Start with the setting: where do the events take place? Should the reader pay attention to the surroundings? Do they uncover some themes of the story?|
|✒️Talk about the characters.||Then, talk about the main characters. Include their names, ages, occupations, and appearances if they are important to the story. Why does this information matter?|
|✒️Focus on the conflict.||Focus on the critical conflict of the story. What problems do the characters face? Are these issues internal or external?|
|✒️Explore the plot.||Later, shortly explore the sequence of events. How do the characters act and why? Include several transitions to show the development of the plot.|
|✒️Explain the climax.||After the events, explain the climax and resolution. How did the author resolve the conflict? What happened to the characters and why?|
|✒️Summarize the story.||Finally, add a sentence or two regarding the overall story. You can mention your opinion and conclusions about the plot and themes, if appropriate.|
For more ideas on writing about short stories, you can check some free examples of literary analysis.
Passage to Summary Converter: Step-by-Step Guide
Any successful academic paper has to contain examples from credible articles, books, or other sources. So, any student has to learn how to convert a passage into a summary to cite it in their original piece.
When reading a passage, focus on the following info:
- What is the passage about? Read the text carefully to understand every sentence. Once you summarize, do not repeat the ideas, even if the author did that for emphasis.
- What tone does it have? You can pay attention to style, metaphors, different figures of speech, and literary devices. Are they important to the meaning? Can you omit them in your summary?
- What type of writing is it? You will probably know what kind of writing it is from the get-go. So, is it persuasive, narrative, expository, or descriptive? Do you need to replicate the type in your summary?
Here is a plan of action:
|✒️Read the paragraph.||Skim a passage a few times to understand and remember it.|
|✒️Make a list.||Identify the central idea of the paragraph and list the supporting arguments or other essential details.|
|✒️Write the summary.||Using your list, write the summary of the passage. Make it one or two sentences long.|
|✒️Read out loud.||Read your summary out loud and fix any inconsistencies.|
Academic Text to Summary Converter: Step-by-Step Guide
Students don’t always have time or energy to read lengthy academic papers and documents. And if this content should be understood and memorized, the whole ordeal becomes a lot more challenging.
The best way to deal with an abundance of academic texts is to create summaries. The short versions with only relevant information are easier to digest, remember, and recall later.
Here are some suggestions on making a summary without an academic writing converter:
|✒️Start with the basic information.||Start with the author’s name and publication date. You don’t want to lose track of this essential information, especially if you need to cite or recall it later.|
|✒️Describe the problem.||Add several phrases about the critical problem that the paper is trying to solve. Try to squeeze all the information into 2-4 sentences.|
|✒️Provide a solution.||Next, provide the solution to the problem from the source. Also, spend 2-4 sentences describing methodology, model, framework, or algorithm.|
|✒️Focus on the strengths.||Speak about 2-3 strengths of the original academic text.|
|✒️Discuss the limitations.||Discuss the limitations of the paper. Similarly, write 2-3 or more if you see many holes in the data or research.|
✨ General Summary Writing Tips
Besides stories, articles, and academic pieces, there are a lot more types of texts, videos, audio, movies, and other media that may require summarization. That is why we have listed several general tips that can help you with a summary of anything.
Even if you don’t have access to our academic writing converter, you can handle any content by yourself!
To summarize something, do as follows:
- Stay concise. Even though you should include all the vital information for the reader’s understanding, you must keep it short. Don’t elaborate on anything unnecessary.
- Identify what’s essential. A helpful and valuable summary determines and communicates the primary information to the reader. Pick one or two significant points and use sentences wisely to express them.
- Be crystal clear. Anyone who reads your summary should be able to understand what the original content is about. Don’t overcomplicate the text or add extra-specific details.
- Keep it organized. Regardless of what you summarize, the academic rules remain the same. Keep the standard structure: an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The main idea should be the first sentence, while the result should be at the end.
- Don’t hesitate to paraphrase. Generally, you can’t use direct quotes from the original text in your summary. Use your own words, as copying sentences from the source is considered plagiarism.
- Use transition words. To make your summary flow naturally, use linking words. You can incorporate phrases like “first,” “then,” “therefore,” “however,” “moreover,” etc.
- Remain impartial. You should abstain from including your opinion in your summary. You are retelling someone else’s writing. Thus, your thoughts are irrelevant; keep the language formal and professional.
Thank you for reading our article. We hope our text to summary converter will help you complete your task. If you know someone else that needs our tool or tips, share this page with them!
❔ Text to Summary Converter – FAQ
❔ What is a summary converter?
A summary converter is a tool that uses advanced machine learning algorithms to create a shortened version of the text. It allows you to condense articles, reports, essays, and other academic papers to their critical points in mere seconds.
❔ How do you convert a text into a summary?
Copy the original text and paste it into our tool above. You can upload up to 10 sentences at once. Click the only button under the field and enjoy the result. Converting a text into a summary has never been easier!
❔ Can I summarize without a converter?
Of course, you can! If you learn how to summarize by yourself, you can cut down any text without a converter. However, it will take much more time and energy to shorten anything manually. So, use our software when you can to facilitate your studies.